When researching, you will see that purchasing, maintaining, and replacing a physical server is a costly affair. A physical server needs a proper setup, configuration, maintenance which has to be done by an expert. Storage space once fully utilized, you need to buy more physical hardware. On the other hand, virtual machines are more efficient and cost-saving. You don’t need to buy the hardware; anyone can configure the VM, you can always add more storage space, and shared workload reduces environmental footprint. According to a study conducted by Cisco, more than 85% of the business workload will be hosted on virtual machines. The decision to use a physical server or a virtual machine is dependent on various factors. Looking at the merits of the virtual machines, you should know the basics of the virtual machine and VM backup solutions. Check out more about Windows server backup solution.
As we have seen the importance of the backup virtual machines, now we will see the top VM backup solutions:
- NAKIVO Backup and Replication: NAKIVO Backup and Replication the #1 virtual machine solution for backup and recovery. The solution can be used for AWS, VMware, and Hyper-V. The pricing of the product is competitive and features like deduplication are no match in the industry. Some noteworthy features:
- Incremental Backup: An incremental Backup captures only the changed data to the data backup center. So, after a single full backup, only the changed or updated values are backed up until the next full backup.
- Deduplication: The global data deduplication which removes the duplicate files is implemented. The data is first compressed and deduplication is performed afterward. Compressing the data and removing the duplicate files saves a lot of memory.
- Flexible Backups: NAKIVO backup and replication enables you to create 1000 recovery points. You can select the backup from this recovery points and run it from that instant. This is possible with the help of a retention policy.
- Application-aware Backup: The application data is as important as the system data. The backup software includes Active Directory, SQL, SharePoint, Oracle data, etc. At the time of backup, the Application-aware backup captures the state of the application data.
- Automation: The backup solution has a policy-based data protection functionality which performs the backups automatically. You don’t need to monitor the backups every time. You can create a policy which scans the virtual machines and implements the backup automatically.
- Vembu Backup and Disaster Recovery: The Vembu backup solution is available for Linux and windows, physical and virtual platform. The User interface is built with HTML 5 and lightweight. The navigation is fast and easy. Some of the features of the Vembu Backup are:
- Security: The VM backups are often processed unsecured by some organizations. Vembu VM backup provides a strong, secure, and powerful data security method. The backups are encrypted during the transfer and at the storage level. The backups are stored on the Vembu’s special file system which is built for security and performance.
- Auto-verification of backups: Verification is a major step in the backup and recovery process and most of the people tend to neglect it. Vembu’s auto-verification automatically boots the VMs. After booting, it takes the screenshot and notifies the system administrator via email with results.
- Instant recovery: You can directly recover files and folders from the backup data easily and quickly. Also, you can enjoy the item-level recovery option which includes data from Microsoft Exchange, Sharepoint, SQL Server, etc.
- Encryption: The Company uses 256-bit encryption. It is the most secure form of encryption and to open the data you need the key. If you don’t have the key, it will take a lifetime to crack it open.
- Altaro VM backup: The software uses compression and reverses delta for the backup process. You can use this software for Windows or Linux machine. The specialty of this product is that it has an amazingly intuitive user interface. The navigation, user-friendliness, and user experience becomes quick and smooth. Other cool features of Altaro VM backup solution are:
- Storage saver: The storage space is saved by implementing augmented inline deduplication. This type of deduplication reduces the size of the backup significantly. Since the size of the VM is smaller, the backup process becomes quick and efficient. When you try to recover the VM, the procedure is quick.
- Intuitive UI: The user interface is simple and suggestive. A single console for monitoring and managing the VM backups and VM hosts. You can configure and control the backup tasks.
- Support: Support is the backbone of any business. Even if your solution is good if you don’t have a good support team, then it all goes to vain. A commitment of 30 seconds reply of calls and reply within 1 hour for email makes Altaro praise-worthy.
- Veeam Backup: Veeam backup commits that they can help you recover VM within 15 minutes and it includes all applications and data. They also offer a free version called Veeam backup free edition. Some of the features:
- Quick Migration: You can migrate a running virtual machine quickly to an ESXi host, Datastore, or any remote location. The migration process does not affect the running VM and no downtime is observed. If you don’t use clusters or shared-cloud storage, you can use this migration feature.
- Application data inclusion: The built-in feature restores the individual objects from the backup. These individual objects can point to SharePoint, Exchange, Active Directory, etc.
- Backup solution: The solution uses compression and deduplication of the data which saves a lot of memory. In addition to this, the overhead memory requirement is reduced with the help of virtual machine executables swap files. The software ensures to include such swap files in the backup process.
I am Bhagwati Suthar, Founder of Jobiba & TezLife.com. I am a Blogger, Affiliate Marketer and a Digital Marketer from Udaipur, India. At JobibaBlog, We share articles about Blogging, Marketing & Advertising, Business and Tech Tips.