Explore this Article
What is dandruff? How is it formed?
Dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis is the dead skin cells which are flake off from the scalp. Typically, a few of dead skin cells fall off after any detergent cure (about nearly 500,000 cells per cm2). In some cases, large amount cells flaking (about 800,000 cells per cm2) indicate any problems usually irritation, redness or itching.
Dandruff is a common problem that affects fifty percent of the population who are after their puberty. It depends on many reasons, but it is rare before puberty, usually starts appearing at the age of 20, and worsens in winter. Dandruff is a big problem cause of it can affect both social and self-esteem of an individual, making them feel unconfident. So in this article, I will recommend you how to get rid of dandruff by shampoo with suitable ingredients.
To understand the mechanism of how dandruff form, firstly, you must know what are dead skin cells and how it forms?
Skin is the largest organ of the body that composed of several layers: the layer you can see at the top is epidermis, the middle layer is dermis, and the last one on the bottom is subcutaneous fat. The epidermis is made of keratin or keratinocytes, and the new keratinocytes layer grows up at the bottom of the epidermis, which binds with the middle layer-the dermis. These new cells will slowly push up, and whenever they reach the top layer, then they become dead skin cells and flake off by your daily activities or even the environmental effects. It takes place for newer skin cells, and your skin needs about one month for all the new cells to completely replace old one. This process occurs continuously, and your skin always is replaced.
What are dandruff signs and symptoms?
Its signs and symptoms are included itching, redness of the head skin; sometimes it can be oily clumps, greasy patches, burning sensation, and dandruff falls a lot.
What can cause dandruff?
Dandruff appearances are related to many causes like skin dryness; some diseases of the head skin such as dermatitis, psoriasis or eczema; cleaning with shampoo too often; allergy to some particular products for hair; do not wash hair often enough, harmful microorganism, and so on. A Research showed that there are three main factors leading to dandruff problem: skin oil( related to sebaceous secretions), metabolic of skin microorganism( especially a yeast-like fungus), susceptibility.
How to get rid of dandruff by shampoo quickly and effectively?
1. Choose an appropriate shampoo for dandruff
Nowadays, there are many famous brands of dandruff shampoo, but they are not working as the same. Before buying shampoo, you should consider the components of it. The most effective ingredients for anti-dandruff include some antifungals Ketoconazole, Zinc pyrithione (or pyrithione zinc), Selenium disulfide, Ciclopirox olamine.
- Ketoconazole is a broad spectrum antifungal agent that works well on fighting Candida and seborrheic dermatitis.
- Zinc pyrithione (or pyrithione zinc) can inhibit the fungal and bacterial division, also can treat seborrheic dermatitis.
- Selenium disulfide is well known as a medication used to treat dandruff and pityriasis versicolor. It is often applied as a lotion or shampoo to help you get rid of the fungus.
- Ciclopirox olamine is a synthetic antifungal agent which is almost used to kill tinea versicolor. It can affect the outermost layers of the skin and reduce dandruff.
2. Take the right amount of shampoo
The amount of shampoo for every time cleaning hair depends on the type of hair, the variant of dandruff and the sensitivity of your scalp.
3. Use anti-dandruff shampoo regularly
That will be a big problem if you think that it’s better to wash your hair with shampoo less often when you have dandruff. The fact is that when you have dandruff, your hair produces a large amount of oily product, so you should shampoo daily with an anti-shampoo to help clear it and dry your hair. Use an anti-shampoo product daily for 1- 2 weeks is needed before you consider consulting your doctor.
However, there are many home remedies to help you get rid of this problem as well.
- Topical steroids solutions for treating dandruff. Steroids solution like hydrocortisone can help you to decrease the inflammation of the head skin that will reduce the dandruff appearance. Remember to ask your doctor first before you want to apply for this medicine.
- Tea tree essential oil. This oil is an antifungal and antibacterial that quickly help unclog pores and reduce irritation. To get it benefits, just drop some drops of tea tree oil to the affected area and gently massage for a few minutes.
- White or apple cider vinegar solution. The diluted solution of white or apple cider vinegar will help rebalance the normal flora and the skin PH, and then decrease the discomfort.
When do you need to see a doctor?
Frequently, with dandruff problem, you no need to see a doctor. It can be treated with anti-dandruff shampoo and other remedies. But in some cases, the problem takes too long time or severe itching that means you might have some skin diseases, your doctor will help.
I am Bhagwati Suthar, Founder of Jobiba & TezLife.com. I am a Blogger, Affiliate Marketer and a Digital Marketer from Udaipur, India. At JobibaBlog, We share articles about Blogging, Marketing & Advertising, Business and Tech Tips.